Unitarian Universalists of the Cumberland Valley, Boiling Springs, PA
The Unitarian Universalist Church of the Cumberland Valley (UUCV) is looking to welcome a creative and enthusiastic leader to help us develop our Religious Education program. We are searching for a talented and confident leader to continue to foster a multi-generational environment of depth and joy rooted in our Unitarian Universalist identity.
This is a growing program and we are looking for a person interested in growing with it. UUCV serves a number of new young families and is looking to continue this growth. The Director of Lifespan Faith Development (DLFD) will work collaboratively with the professional staff and lay leaders to cultivate support for and engagement with religious education. The DLFD will focus on programming for Preschool-12th grade and family faith development. This is a 20-hour a week job with the possibility to grow. The DLFD reports directly to the minister.
About our Congregation:
- UUCV offers Sunday morning religious education for youth of all ages (nursery – 12th grade) with an average weekly attendance of 20. Most of these children are in the nursery and K-2 class. Adult RE classes are offered throughout the year. Middle School OWL (Our Whole Lives) classes are offered every other year.
- UUCV has a Religious Education Committee that supports curriculum selection, teacher coordination and special programming.
- UUCV is a growing congregation in Boiling Springs, PA. We have 150 members and many friends. We serve the wider Cumberland Valley and have members throughout the area. We are an intentionally diverse religious community that welcomes people of all sexual orientations and gender expressions.
Title: Director of Lifespan Religious Education
Hours & Compensation: 20 hours per week, salaried in accordance with Fair Compensation Guidelines, UUA Benefits
Start Date: August 15, 2016 or as soon as possible (starting date negotiable)
Reporting: DLRE reports to the Minister and collaborates primarily with the RE Committee.
Religious lifespan education, vital to the health and future of the congregation, recognizes the value of the continuous spiritual growth of our children, youth and adults. To ensure an atmosphere of tolerance and acceptance, the DLFD is expected to be familiar with the religious education philosophy and the curricula of the Unitarian Universalist Association. Because of the significant dependence on volunteers for teaching and other support services, it is expected that the Religious Education Committee will provide strong, on-going support.
The responsibilities of the DLFD are outlined below. The job description may be revised to meet the changing needs of the congregation. These duties are in addition to the policies and responsibilities delineated in the UUCV Employee Manual.
The DLFD shall:
- Review, plan, prepare or otherwise coordinate the curricula for the children and youth religious education programs.
- Recruit, oversee the background clearances, orient and support volunteer RE teachers, nursery and other support staff.
- Unless otherwise approved by the Supervisor, be present on Sunday mornings to supervise the nursery and children and youth RE programs. The DLFD will have one Sunday off per month.
- Welcome and orient new families into the RE program.
- In coordination with the minister, plan special and intergenerational events for the entire UUCV community.
- Establish and maintain a calendar of RE programs, events and teaching assignments that is accessible to the Supervisor, the UUCV administrator, the RE Committee chair and others, as needed.
- Advocate for and publicize the religious education program through the newsletter and other means of communication.
- Provide leadership for goal setting and the development of the philosophy for religious growth and learning.
- Attend meetings of the RE Committee, the UUCV Board of Directors and church staff, as needed or directed by the Supervisor.
- Ensure that the expenditures of the religious education department are within the amount authorized in the church budget for the applicable fiscal year.
To apply for this position please send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position, as well as three references to Pam Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
UUCV, PO Box 207, Boiling Springs, PA 17007. Applications will be accepted through July 15, 2016.