What’s happening to women and children near the U.S. border is gruesome. Innocent people seeking legal asylum are being killed,1 children and infants as young as 1-year old are being separated from their mothers and thrown into detention,2 and children in custody are being physically abused3–all at the behest of Trump and his white nationalist cronies.
Under Trump’s direct orders, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) are overseeing human rights abuses at the border and in immigrant communities–it’s time for Congress to step in and do something. NOW.
That’s why UltraViolet is joining the growing movement of progressive and civil rights organizations to hold National Days of Action for Children starting now.
Not many people know that ICE is actually a relatively new agency set up under the Bush administration in 2003. ICE’s job is simply to rid the U.S. of immigrants–regardless of whether they’ve committed a crime. They receive over $7 billion from taxpayers each year,4 despite being plagued with controversy–from illegally arresting people without a warrant to sexually abusing immigrants in detention to denying urgent medical treatment to people they’ve locked up.5 And CBP has killed 98 people in 15 years–most recently Claudia Gomez, a 20-year-old Guatemalan woman who traveled 1,500 miles to seek asylum at the U.S. border, only to be shot in the head by a border agent.6
If we act right now, while national outrage over abuses at the border is reaching a fever pitch, we can force Congress to do the right thing and stop funding Trump’s right-hand agencies that are carrying out these heinous crimes. Here are the details:
What: Harrisburg Day of Action for Children – #FamiliesBelongTogether
When: Friday, June 1, 12:00 PM
Where: US Federal Building, 228 Walnut Street, Harrisburg, PA, 17101
Thanks for taking action.
–Nita, Shaunna, Kat, Karin, Adam, Holly, Kathy, Susan, Anathea, Audine, Shannon, Emma, Pilar, Natalie, Melody, Pam, Lindsay, and Ryan, the UltraViolet team
P.S. If you can, please bring symbols, images, and messages that signal this is about children–for example, strollers, stuffed animals, etc.–and feel free to post those images on social media with the hashtag #FamiliesBelongTogether.
- She came to the US for a better life. Moments after arrival, she was killed, CNN, May 29, 2018
- Must watch: Chris Hayes on ‘despicable’ new Trump policy, MSNBC, May 25, 2018
- Border Patrol Kicked, Punched Migrant Children, Threatened Some With Sexual Abuse, ACLU Alleges, Newsweek, May 23, 2018
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Budget Overview, Fiscal Year 2018, Department of Homeland Security, Accessed May 30, 2018
- Questions Swirl Around ICE’s ‘Inhumane’ Treatment of Pregnant People, Rewire, May 11, 2018
- Claudia Gómez González Wasn’t Killed by a Rogue Border Agent–She Was Killed by a Rogue Agency, The Nation, May 29, 2018
Want to support our work? UltraViolet is funded by members like you, and our tiny staff ensures small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
Join our rapid response team — sign up for UltraViolet text updates.